Merry Christmas to everyone, it’s been a busy few days but I thought I’d just put out a little post which will likely be my last before the New Year.
So thanks to everyone for reading the blog this year and here is my take on something which I have a feeling may have been done before somewhere.
10 things to write instead of list posts in the style of a list post
Now I do enjoy a good list post myself (note the word good) but they are quickly becoming the scourge of the blogging community so how about you…..
- Review a website – give us a tour of the features and design ideas you like/dislike about it instead of a list of sites with some funnily cropped images.
- Write a tutorial – you may not think you know enough to teach people but remember there are always people starting out who need some help and surely you spend your time in work figuring out new stuff and ideas you can share with people.
- Create a freebie – give something to people, use your wonderful skills as a graphic designer to create a free wallpaper or you web design skills to create a wordpress template.
- Review something – you could even make yourself some money doing it!
- Start a discussion – engaging with the people who read your blog is important. Ask them a question and get them thinking, you may learn something new yourself!
- Take a look at your own blog – if you’ve done something like me you’ll probably be in a constant state of updating your design so take a little time to improve a few bits. What looks ugly? what needs changing? Sort it out!
- Update your portfolio – very important to make sure you’re showing your best work to prospective clients so it helps to make sure it’s up to date.
- Leave your computer alone – it’s not healthy being here all the time, so unplug and go have a pint down the pub or something.
- Sod it and write a list post – you could just give in and write a list post because at the end of the day they do often get read. My personal preference would be to keep it short and snappy and high quality. Most people do not have the time to read 1364 websites with the dogs in.
And with that Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night, be sure to come back in the New Year!
Thanks for this list about ways to not write a list.
.-= Tim´s last blog ..Targets for 2010 – Becoming a dad and doing a Duathlon! =-.
It is kind of ironic that it list post about writing other things than list posts but still great information.
Sometimes it can be too easy to just fall back on a list post when there are so many options as noted.
I like to include product reviews, party info and other tid-bits 🙂
.-= Muxxex´s last blog ..The Vinyl Record Pricing Guide =-.
Some interesting posts on this site and a load of great info. If you get bored, visit mine and come and take a look at my posts over here at sandiegowebdesign-seo.com and give me a comment.
I’ve actually written quite a few articles my own on my own website but I’ve never really come across something like this
op! the thing is extremely topnotch really well! sincerely
I am a frequent reader of your site and would just like to say thank you! I have even been inspired to start my own blog so please have a look. Restaurant in Ilfracombe
I’ve written some freebies and those definitely work. Great list. THX!
That’s a good article about 10 things to write instead of list posts « Kamikazemusic.com. Thanks for the info.
I thought about 10 things to write instead of list posts « Kamikazemusic.com and found this post. Thanks for sharing!
Interesting! This is my favorite post about 10 things to write instead of list posts « Kamikazemusic.com.